Few years back I had a conversation with someone at a seminar and the guy was telling me about how they don’t have a free opt-in list, and the only thing you can do is buy their offer (not a cheap $7 “tripwire” offer, in their case it was a $50 or $60 self liquidating offer) then be put on a list… and asked, “Ben why haven’t you tried the same?”
My answer was long but distinguished…
And basically I broke it down like this:
1. I am a big fan of doing what they are doing and it’s probably the ideal way
2. But I don’t personally do it myself
3. I can flip a lot more free opt-ins into sales than the average bar, and the way I curate my list from the outset eliminates a bunch of the problems having a free opt-in list creates for most marketers
4. I routinely profit from the trolls, idiots, and freebie seeking bums who try to start shyt with me, and don’t necessarily want to entirely sift them out, which making them pony up their cheetos and porno money would likely do
5. The free opt-in-then-sell-a-subscription offer (not easy for the vast majority to pull off) is my game, something I play as well as if not better than anyone else I am aware of, and there is no real reason to change what’s been working for over 10 years and only keeps working better for my business over time
It always comes down to playing your game and not someone else’s.
Does that mean you should do it the way I do it?
Almost certainly not.
You gotta find your way, Chuckles.
And so it goes…
To subscribe to the Email Players newsletter go here: